Friday, September 2, 2011

Part II, A Fat Girl and Her Cake


Picture it: Working at a bakery. In the middle of the summer. 1,000 degree ovens. Over 100 degrees in the building.  Work starts at 6am, hats and hair nets are mandatory. 8-10 hours of standing on your feet (weekends included), lifting heavy ass cakes, making frosting in enormous 75lb batches. Up to your elbows in cake crumbs and frosting.  But, delicious extra cake everywhere! Cake for breakfast, cake for lunch, cake for snacks, cake, cake, cake...Far from a dream job and one of the worst ideas ever for a fat chick, but as I mentioned it was the beginning of what I call the "real" start to my life. 

When I started in the bakery, one of my co-workers was just a year younger than me.  We didn't have a ton in common, but we commiserated over how terrible the job was and spent the days chatting and getting to know one another. 

By now, things in my life were just getting worse.  We had recently moved to a new apartment and were fighting all the time. I was miserable.  Work was an escape and that was what I focused on...escape of any kind. After getting acquainted a bit with my co-worker, she invited me over to her house because one of her cats had just had kittens and she was looking to get rid of some of them.  We already had two cats, but I was so mentally checked out from my relationship that all I ever thought about was getting out.  I didn't want or need a cat, but if it meant getting me out of the house, I was all for it.

From time to time, my co-worker had mentioned a friend of her and her husband's. I didn't know much about him, other than he hung around with them often and at the time was living with them. We had recently had a big storm and a tree had fallen on his house so he was staying with them until things were fixed. 

She knew I was really struggling and started telling him about me and filling me in on him. She said he knew about my situation but was excited to meet me and kept asking when I was going to come over.  I knew what this potentially meant for me.  I finally gave in and said I'd come over.

After a huge argument and eleventy-billion screaming phone calls from my controlling XBF,  I was already all worked up on my drive over there.  I was nervous, flustered and upset.  I took a deep breath and knocked on the door and tried to calm down.  After all, I was just there to look at cute little kittens, right?? 

Watch for Part III, coming soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment